Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Night In Downtown Philly.

Originally written on August 20th, 2008

Wow, i dont really know where to start with all of this. Tonight was such a huge night for me. Before our trip we were asked to make hygiene kits, Bibles and blankets were collected and lunches were made. After all this, seemingly, difficult work and preparation we were only about to find out that our night was about to get a lot more difficult. We were taken to a park in the middle of Philly and we were sent out in groups to give out our supplies to the homeless. As we first got out of the van, people, who are used to vans coming and handing out food, began to swarm us and ask us for anything that they saw in our hands. We were all a little overwhelmed and none of us really felt prepared enough. I felt as though i’d gotten myself in way over my head, but as the flood of people began to subside I was able to calm down and really visualize the mission ahead of me. We walked around the park for a few hours and were able to visit with some of the lowliest of lowly people. As i began to talk to one man, John, I was overwhelmed with pain for this man. We talked with him for about ten minutes and during that time, I saw God in him so many times. As we were finishing up, and he was finishing his continual thanks for the food, blanket and water we had provided, we asked if we could pray for him. Unlike many of the people we had encountered previously, he was more than willing to join hands with us and pray. We all took turns praying for him, and finished the prayer not even thinking twice about the fact that he might want to pray also. So as we began to head out and get ready to carry on, he asked if it would be ok if he were to pray. We were all taken back so much, and were all so excited. So we took hands again and as we closed our eyes John started to pray for us. He prayed that we would be safe and that we would keep motivated and keep following God. I was in awe at all that was going on and i just hopelessly began to sob. Why is it that God chose me to have a house and a wonderful family, and especially for me to know Him? I am so fortunate, and yet i take it for granted so often. I realized that i am so selfish, because this past week i have been struggling with showering in a dirty shower. But here this man is, with absolutely nothing and he is more thankful to have two feet than i am to have everything that i have in my life. God showed me so much through this event and many of my prayers were answered, and decisions were confirmed. God is so good to me, and I am so excited to see what else is in store!!

No comments: